Interstitial lung disease is the name for a large group of diseases that inflame or scar the lungs. The inflammation and scarring make it difficult to get enough oxygen. The scarring is called pulmonary fibrosis.
Breathing in dust or other particles in the air is responsible for some types of interstitial lung diseases. Specific types include:
• Black Lung Disease among coal miners,
from inhaling coal dust
• Farmer's Lung, from inhaling farm dust
• Asbestosis, from inhaling asbestos fibers
• Siderosis, from inhaling iron from mines or welding fumes
• Silicosis, from inhaling silica dust